Sunday, November 21, 2010

Anger Management and the Ugly Truth...

I find it interesting that people who claim to have everything going for them feel the constant need to put others down to feel superior.  Superior intellect, more disposable income, ect... My personal experience tells me that the happier a person is, the less they care about trivial material things.  I really don't care how much money someone makes in a year, if they are a jerk, they are a jerk.

There are rich jerks and poor jerks.  It doesn't seem to matter how much they have, it is how they look at it.  I work with some fool who is moving to a new state and a new tax bracket.  Rather than getting a place to rent, he's going to take advantage of others' hospitalities.  I hope he is more polite to them than he is to the people he works with, because otherwise he will find himself with no place to stay. 

I'm not sure how he impressed people to pay him more to do less, because he is a deadbeat lame duck at the place he works now.  Maybe he is scared and worried about moving to a strange place and starting a completely new life.  I know I would be.  His attitude makes it hard to feel any sympathy though.  I am having a hard time not judging this person, even though he is really of no consequence to me. 

I also find it interesting that he is going to work for a company that I would never work for strictly because of my ethics and beliefs.  Perhaps instead of being concerned about being the highest paid whore he should think about the impact he leaves in this world.  I really wouldn't like to be the person who everyone breathes a sigh of relief once he's left the room. 

The sad thing is I see this attitude in people more and more.  They aren't happy with themselves, and they give that to someone else to deal with.  We've all been guilty of this at some point.  It's stupid that I should have a bad day just because someone else is. 

My solution is this:  I forgive him for being a burden instead of a joy.  Not personally, only to myself.  I will try my best to behave, and take joy in his leaving.  Most importantly though, I will try to avoid following his example, and be a joy to those I encounter throughout the day.  Everyone can be a teacher, even if it is only by showing you what not to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment